Nigeria yet to receive $300m Abacha loot…Malami

0

By SINL Reporter

The federal government said on Tuesday that the latest recovered tranche of the funds looted by the late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, has yet to be repatriated to Nigeria.

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN), made the disclosure in Abuja.

Malami, in a statement by his Special Assistant on Media and Public Relations, Dr Umar Gwandu, was reacting to a claim by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party that the recovered loot had been looted.

It would be recalled that the minister had on February 4, 2020, on behalf of the Federal Government, signed a tripartite agreement between the United States of America and the Island of New Jersey for the repatriation of $300m of the Abacha loot.

But Malami said on Tuesday that the loot expected from the US and the Island of New Jessy had “yet to be received by the government”.

“So, the issue regarding embezzlement or misappropriation of same is an imaginary illusion which does not even arise as the money has not yet been repatriated to Nigeria,” he stated.

He added that looted funds recovered by the Buhari regime were judiciously utilised for high-impact public-oriented projects.

See also  PDP Governorship candidate in Jigawa seeks support of Royal fathers

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here